Clinton supporters – get over it

June 3, 2008

Caution … political rant ahead …

Tonight we saw the primary season for the United States presidential campaign come to end (finally). And Barack Obama received the number of delegates he needed to clinch the nomination for the Democrats. It’s over.

I was just watching the local news and they were interviewing a bunch of Hillary Clinton supporters who were saying that they are so upset and bitter that they are going to vote for John McCain.

What? Ha! … oh wait, I think they’re serious. For real?

These aren’t so-called independents “on the fence” … these are hard-core Democrats. I really hope, for the future of this country, that these people just need a couple weeks to get over their bitterness. You are not a Democrat if you defect and vote for McCain. Period. That’s fine … people switch parties … it happens. But, don’t give me this schist that you are still a Democrat. Admit that you are no longer a Democrat and deal with it (whatever that entails).

So, what to do? Sit down, take a deep breath, and compare the policies being discussed by Clinton, Obama, and McCain. Are Clinton supporters going to sit there and seriously say that McCain’s policies are more aligned with Clinton? Are you going to vote for McCain to spite Obama? I don’t think so.

My guess (hope?) is that Clinton does the right thing and, in a few days or a week, after the dust settles, she’ll convince her supporters that becoming a Republican is not the best use of their time.

If you are a Clinton supporter, a Democrat, and can prove to me that McCain’s policies are more aligned with Hillary’s … please do so below. I’m not talking about identity politics or character, or if something was unfair, blah blah freakin’ blah. Give me some nutrients.

~

UPDATE (6/5/08):

The above post was from the night of the primary and directed towards those who were literally threatening to vote for McCain … to become a so-called ‘crossover’ voter.

This is the text of an e-mail Hillary Clinton sent her supporters (found here):

Dear X,

I wanted you to be one of the first to know: on Saturday, I will hold an event in Washington D.C. to thank everyone who has supported my campaign. Over the course of the last 16 months, I have been privileged and touched to witness the incredible dedication and sacrifice of so many people working for our campaign. Every minute you put into helping us win, every dollar you gave to keep up the fight meant more to me than I can ever possibly tell you.

On Saturday, I will extend my congratulations to Senator Obama and my support for his candidacy.

This has been a long and hard-fought campaign, but as I have always said, my differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans.

I have said throughout the campaign that I would strongly support Senator Obama if he were the Democratic Party’s nominee, and I intend to deliver on that promise.

When I decided to run for president, I knew exactly why I was getting into this race: to work hard every day for the millions of Americans who need a voice in the White House.

I made you — and everyone who supported me — a promise: to stand up for our shared values and to never back down. I’m going to keep that promise today, tomorrow, and for the rest of my life.

I will be speaking on Saturday about how together we can rally the party behind Senator Obama. The stakes are too high and the task before us too important to do otherwise.

I know as I continue my lifelong work for a stronger America and a better world, I will turn to you for the support, the strength, and the commitment that you have shown me in the past 16 months. And I will always keep faith with the issues and causes that are important to you.

In the past few days, you have shown that support once again with hundreds of thousands of messages to the campaign, and again, I am touched by your thoughtfulness and kindness.

I can never possibly express my gratitude, so let me say simply, thank you.

Sincerely,

[Hillary]

Hillary Rodham Clinton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advertisements
  1. SnarkyGradStudent permalink
    June 4, 2008 4:25 am

I found my way here randomly, so to be honest, I don’t know you– maybe you are just generally a combative person.

For the record, I have 0 intention of voting for McCain. But, that does not mean that Obama has earned my vote. His policies differ from Clinton’s in several key areas (health care being the most obvious) which are profoundly meaningful to me. When I hear people from his camp telling me to suck those difference up and get over it– I get a little cranky. You may not like Clinton, but she did get a fair number of votes (some might say, more votes than he did– but that’s the way the cookie crumbles, and I have no choice but to accept it) and those of us who did vote for her _expect_ to be heard by the Democratic party. If, as the winners, the Obama camp cannot be gracious and make real attempts to mend fences with _me_, my vote will go third party.

If that splits his vote, that is not my problem. Because it’s my vote, and I only intend to give it to someone who respects me.

2. June 4, 2008 6:11 am

I’m not saying she didn’t get a lot votes, and I’m not saying here supporters don’t deserve to be heard.

You say her health care policy ideas differ from Obama … of course they do, but I’m saying take a step back … zoom back out a bit … are Clinton’s closer to McCain’s?

Now whether you decide to vote for someone completely different or even not vote at all, that’s another story … I’m talking about those Clinton supporters who are threatening (that is the best word for the people I saw in the interviews I talk about above) to vote for McCain as if in some sort of spite.

That, to me, is indefensible.

3. June 4, 2008 6:40 am

To add one more thing … you say that health care policy is important to you. Don’t you think that if Obama is elected, who last night talked about Clinton’s health care advocacy specifically, there’s a better chance some progress will be made? By voting for a third candidate or not voting at all, there’s a very real risk of McCain winning.

Do you really think that scenario is worth “stickin’ it” to Obama and his supporters? I really would like to hear someone defend this position … it makes no sense to me.

4. SnarkyGradStudent permalink
    June 4, 2008 7:45 am

Yes, there is a real risk of McCain winning _if_ I vote third party… and that doesn’t sit comfortably with me at all. But, if I choose not to vote for Obama, I don’t see that as “stickin’ it” to him– I see that as him not earning my vote.

As for Clinton supporters who are bitter and are contemplating McCain… I believe a lot of that is raw emotion talking right now. Clinton supporters are grieving, and we all say some extreme shit when we are grieving. I think that some Obama supporters, by being somewhat ungracious in the win, are creating a climate in which Clinton supporters feel ignored and kicked to the curb.

My point about votes is– there are a lot of us– his supporters have to realize that without the Clinton supporters, Obama has no shot in November. I stopped in here because I resent being told to “get over it”– I see your point in that, yes Obama is a lot closer to my beliefs than McCain– but I remain unconvinced that he is close enough.

5. June 4, 2008 7:52 am

Fair enough … my ‘get over it’ is mostly directed towards what I perceive to be the most bitter of the Clinton supporters, not her supporters at large. Yes, I support Obama, but I wouldn’t call myself an “Obama supporter” in the sense of someone who volunteered for the campaign and such. I want a Democrat in office, I want the Republicans out … I would’ve had no problem voting for Hillary over McCain. I’m looking at the big picture … this Obama-supporters vs. Clinton-supporters stuff is a waste of energy now.

6. June 9, 2008 3:14 pm

How is a McCain Democrat any different than a Reagan Democrat? For that matter, how can somebody who votes Democratic for House, Senate, state house, state senate, comptroller, school board, sheriff and mayor, but Republican for President, not be considered a democrat?

7. June 9, 2008 3:31 pm

“For that matter, how can somebody who votes Democratic for House, Senate, state house, state senate, comptroller, school board, sheriff and mayor, but Republican for President, not be considered a democrat?”

C’mon … this is special pleading … can you find me a significant number of voters who have done this in the past?

8. June 10, 2008 4:49 pm

9. June 10, 2008 6:13 pm

“In 1984, Reagan won every state except Minnesota. But the democrats retained the house and senate. So I’d say that most of the country voted that way then.”

Winning a state doesn’t mean that the kind of loyal voter you describe above (Democratic for House, Senate, state house, state senate, comptroller, school board, sheriff and mayor) voted for Reagan in said state … it only means he won the state. I don’t have time to look up historical election results … but, I still doubt your hypothesis. If you can prove to me that a significant number of loyal Democrats (i.e., the ones that vote Democratic for House, Senate, state house, state senate, comptroller, school board, sheriff and mayor) crossed over in 1984 for just the presidential vote, then that would surely be interesting.