Friday Field Foto #51: Patagonian wind

May 15, 2008

Actually … I guess today should be Friday Field Video

After seeing another blogger’s video highlighting the wind of Patagonia, I decided to upload and post a very short video I took this past February while doing field work in southern Chile (~51°S). The quality is not that great (from the video function on my digital camera), but you can get sense of the wind. This is pretty standard … it’s often much worse.

The photo below is the best still shot I have that effectively communicates the wind in a snapshot. This was taken by another student who was helping us collect data in 2004. That’s me on the right.

Happy Friday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advertisements
  1. May 16, 2008 8:12 am

The student reminds me of someone – possibly a young woman from eastern Canada?? Seems unlikely, but…

2. May 16, 2008 9:01 am

Which student? When I say “This was taken by another student who was helping us collect data in 2004.”?

If so … no, not the same person.

3. May 16, 2008 11:08 am

I meant the person in red on the left side of the photo.

4. May 16, 2008 11:21 am

Silver Fox … you just made my day.

The person in the red is not a young woman (but he is from Canada, as it turns out). Now I get to jab him a bit that he was mistaken for a young woman … thanks!

5. May 16, 2008 12:03 pm

Really, it was just the outfit, and she is fairly “skinny” – your student is probably quite a bit taller! Does he speak French as his first language, also? Just kidding! :)

6. May 20, 2008 3:28 pm

I enjoyed your video, and your leaning into the wind photo definitely captures the spirit of those gales!

Trackbacks

1. Cerro Divisadero - my PhD field area in Patagonia « Clastic Detritus
  2. Theis: Because You're On Pitchfork Or BrooklynVegan, Websites That People Know Across The Nation, People Will Come To Your Show At Market Hotel In Brooklyn - Hot News In Tech
  3. In A Separate Online Poll Conducted By PBS's Frontline, 38 Percent Of College Students Surveyed Said They Are Planning To Vote For Gore, While 31 Percent Intend To Vote For Bush, And 13 Percent Are Undecided - Hot News In Tech