Friday Field Foto #51: Patagonian wind

May 15, 2008

Actually … I guess today should be Friday Field Video

After seeing another blogger’s video highlighting the wind of Patagonia, I decided to upload and post a very short video I took this past February while doing field work in southern Chile (~51°S). The quality is not that great (from the video function on my digital camera), but you can get sense of the wind. This is pretty standard … it’s often much worse.

The photo below is the best still shot I have that effectively communicates the wind in a snapshot. This was taken by another student who was helping us collect data in 2004. That’s me on the right.

Happy Friday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advertisements
  1. May 16, 2008 8:12 am

The student reminds me of someone – possibly a young woman from eastern Canada?? Seems unlikely, but…

2. May 16, 2008 9:01 am

Which student? When I say “This was taken by another student who was helping us collect data in 2004.”?

If so … no, not the same person.

3. May 16, 2008 11:08 am

I meant the person in red on the left side of the photo.

4. May 16, 2008 11:21 am

Silver Fox … you just made my day.

The person in the red is not a young woman (but he is from Canada, as it turns out). Now I get to jab him a bit that he was mistaken for a young woman … thanks!

5. May 16, 2008 12:03 pm

Really, it was just the outfit, and she is fairly “skinny” – your student is probably quite a bit taller! Does he speak French as his first language, also? Just kidding! :)

6. May 20, 2008 3:28 pm

I enjoyed your video, and your leaning into the wind photo definitely captures the spirit of those gales!

Trackbacks